Closed Thread

Thread: Drive Error

Thanks

Drive Error

I was trying to fix my mom's computer today, and I can't find any useful suggestions for how to solve this problem: When she tries to go for her DVD-ROM or thumbdrive, it says
    [Drive] "is not acessible
    incorrect function"

I've looked on the microsoft site, and she doesn't have Roxio, let alone an older version.
    I've looked around on all the forums, and there's no "burn" tab on either of those drives.
    I've tried uninstalling them and letting themselves reinstall, but it seems to make no difference.

Anybody got any advice?

Thanks

Re: Drive Error

oops, good thing I re-read that... if the problem is both with the DVD-ROM AND a thumbdrive (are there any accessible drives??), I doubt that both of those pieces of hardware could independantly fail in the same way. Try system restore, or, since the system itself is working ok, back up her data and format, it might be some sort of problem deep in Windows. Failing that, its *possible* that there's a hardware foulup on her MoBo or something, but I highly doubt that.

Thanks

ok, the Rom is connected by IDE and the Thumbdrive by USB. Right?

Then look in the administrative part and change for fun the driveletters of both (after u plugged the usb). Try to access then again.
    If it fails, play at first around with the usb-device. When you plug it, does a message appear? are any lights blinking at the thumbdrive? If not, did you already try to connect another usb-device to the same port? maybe your mainboard got shot.

By the way, I'm not american. Somebody enlight me please, whats a THUMBDRIVE?? Usb-Stick or any other kind of usb-thing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3nigm4tic
    oops, good thing I re-read that... if the problem is both with the DVD-ROM AND a thumbdrive (are there any accessible drives??), I doubt that both of those pieces of hardware could independantly fail in the same way. Try system restore, or, since the system itself is working ok, back up her data and format, it might be some sort of problem deep in Windows. Failing that, its *possible* that there's a hardware foulup on her MoBo or something, but I highly doubt that.
    Yes, you can get to all of her network drives (all eight of them, or something), her CDRW, her C:\ drive, and her D:\ backup partition. it seems that it's only the USB and the DVD-ROM.

And Taco: a thumbdrive is a USB memory stick.

Thanks

Sorry to be a PITA, but I still need help with this, so

On an intoxicated little island in the north atlantic
    Thanks

These problems didnt occur after a windows online update , did they? I was talking to a few of my IT collegues at work about this same problem a few months back. They think theres a flaw with XP where this can happen if theres a number of drives connected.
    One possible way around this is to download a burning software that contains INCD.
    Some folk have had good results with INCD, they were able to access their drives again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuathal
    These problems didnt occur after a windows online update , did they? I was talking to a few of my IT collegues at work about this same problem a few months back. They think theres a flaw with XP where this can happen if theres a number of drives connected.
    One possible way around this is to download a burning software that contains INCD.
    Some folk have had good results with INCD, they were able to access their drives again.
    I ran one round of Windows Update... it hadn't been run in forever, so I didn't know if there wre multiple layers of updating it wanted. As for INCD, I'll try it when I'm next at her office.

Closed Thread