Closed Thread

Thread: UW-Milwaukee Panthers!!

Thanks

UW-Milwaukee Panthers!!

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!! :rock: This cinderella team is inspirational. I have never seen this type of hustle and effort. Upsetting Alabama and Boston College has made this mid-major team from the Horizon League tournament darlings! I would love to see these guys upset Illinois but that'll take a miracle. Their win against BC was even sweeter when I read this:

"The [Boston College] Eagles scored the game's first 11 points on 5-for-6 shooting that forced the Panthers to call a timeout. After listening to coach Al Skinner, the Eagles then resorted to a little trash talking.

Before play resumed, Marshall [of Boston College] barked in [UWM player Ed] McCants' ear, telling him, "I don't give a shit if you beat Alabama. This is the Big East."

Marshall was soon eating his words and the Eagles were getting strangled by Milwaukee's overbearing press."

Panthers Put UW-Milwaukee on the Map

By ARNIE STAPLETON : AP Sports Writer
    Mar 21, 2005 : 8:12 pm ET

MILWAUKEE -- Before last weekend, Wisconsin-Milwaukee was best known for being the school where the late Israeli prime minister Golda Meir went.

For "Happy Days" aficionados, it's where Richie Cunningham, Potsie Weber and Ralph Malph all hit the books when they weren't hanging out at Arnold's Drive-in.

Now, the No. 12 Panthers are the lowest seed remaining in the NCAA tournament, holding the banner for all the mid-majors who dream of knocking off the big basketball schools like Alabama and Boston College, both of which fell to Bruce Pearl's pressing Panthers, champions of the Horizon League, last week in Cleveland.

UWM is a commuter school of 25,000 that has gone from NAIA Division II to NCAA Division I in a little more than a decade.

When athletic director Bud Haidet was hired in 1988, he counted 65 fans at his first basketball game and many of them mistakenly handed back the pom-pons he gave them on their way into the arena.

Now, UWM is taking some of the spotlight off Marquette, just 6 miles away, which went to the Final Four two years ago, and the University of Wisconsin in Madison, where the Badgers, under former Panthers coach Bo Ryan, are also in the Round of 16.

There wasn't a lot of buzz on campus Monday, however, because spring break just started.

"We only have one dormitory but I still feel the support, I've gotten lots of e-mails," guard Ed McCants said.

About 50 people, mostly friends and family, greeted the Panthers at Mitchell International Airport upon their triumphant return Sunday.

On Monday, players entering the Klotsche Center to practice weren't met by a throng of fans but by two men seeking autographs on four deflated basketballs, items that might very well end up on eBay.

"It's quieter than usual today except for you guys," forward Adrian Tigert said of the 50 or so reporters who converged on the campus.

Some students did gather at the campus bookstore to buy commemorative T-shirts, among them Nicole Dzomba of Milwaukee.

"It's real exciting, it's very cool," she said as she picked out a yellow T-shirt. "I think everyone's happy but nervous, too."

Other students raced to the ticket office to put their names in for the 1,250 tickets made available to the school for the Panthers' next game, against top-ranked Illinois on Thursday in the Chicago Regional.

Pearl hoped the biggest crowd of reporters to gather at one of his practices would ask about the David vs. Goliath story line. He wanted to rave about his stars, McCants and Joah Tucker. He preferred to talk about how no No. 12 seed has ever beaten a No. 1 seed.

"We're trying to do something that's never been done. We're trying to make history," he said.

He even pitched a story about Illinois coach and Milwaukee native Bruce Weber playing his alma mater, where he unsuccessfully tried out for the UWM basketball team.

Thanks

Re: UW-Milwaukee Panthers!!

Haha i took teh panthers past the first round.. but never thought they could pull off the BC upset.. though i knew BC was failing and fast.

however.. i really don't think they can take Illinois... but i would sure as hell love to see them do it.

Thanks

yeah, they really know how to fuck up a bracket.

Thanks

:rock: Man I am so proud of this team. Every year I can remember that they have been in the tournament I have always picked them.....and finally.....this year they won...I hope they take it to the Illini and end up in the elite 8

Defender of the Universe! adrenaline's Avatar
    Thanks

if they shoot lights out like they have been they got a good as shot as anyone to been illinois..

Go UWM..

and the other UW school is kickin ass too.. that would be sweet to have 2 uw schools in the final four.. one beats illnois and the other takes out NC!

Thanks

i'm not sure i like UW as much.. i think UWM could take them if they had to.

then again i'm from PSU meaning that Chamliss or whatever is a traitor from our college so we boo him a lot.

I think i'd like to see UWM vs. WVU cause i like them both...

Thanks

If they keep shooting lights-out and keep up that suffocating press then they'll be in the nat'l championship!! Honestly, these guys have NOTHING to lose and Illinois has EVERYTHING to lose. I'm going to be shit a brick or, in the words of Phil Anselmo, "go fuckin' ape shit" if they pull the upset. But even if they lose, they are still big-time winners in my opinion.

Id like to see Illinois and UNC go down because my brackets already so bad that i have nothing to lose either.
    UWM vs WVU !! :rock:

Ed McCants
    Coach Bruce Pearl (how could u not like this guy)

Closed Thread