Closed Thread

Thread: If George W. Bush hadn't been elected...

Canadian Sex Kitten OrdinaryGirl's Avatar
    Thanks

If George W. Bush hadn't been elected...

Since the Presidential election was so close last time, something has crossed my mind a few times since 9/11. How do you feel things would have been different if the Florida fiasco hadn't happened and G.W. Bush hadn't been elected? I am not really familiar with Al Gore or his stances, but what do you think would've happened if HE had been president when 9/11 happened?

Thanks

Re: If George W. Bush hadn't been elected...

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryGirl
    Since the Presidential election was so close last time, something has crossed my mind a few times since 9/11. How do you feel things would have been different if the Florida fiasco hadn't happened and G.W. Bush hadn't been elected? I am not really familiar with Al Gore or his stances, but what do you think would've happened if HE had been president when 9/11 happened?
    Our troops would be home by now, Osama would've been captured, Iraq would've never been bombed, and less people would be in jail for prostesting Bush.

Oh ya.. less poverty. More jobs would be in country. That is all.

rover4x4

nice avatar

Thanks

No way to know.

No one can assume what would happen just because Gore has a D next to his name

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hijacker

Oh ya.. less poverty. More jobs would be in country. That is all.

Maybe more gov't jobs.

A simple explanation behind the tax cuts.

The top percent of taxpayers arent old misers. You only pay taxes on the money you make during the year.

You dont pay as much tax if you do nothing and just sit on 30 million bucks for years. Just on the interest you earn. If you make 30 million one year, you pay a fuckload of taxes. Now the guy does nothing the next year and just holds it in the bank. He wont pay near the taxes he did the first time. He didnt make another 30 million.

Now take somebody who owns a business, employs a 1000 people but cant expand to make more money and hire more people, give them health insurance, 401K's and paid vacations.

After the tax cuts now they can expand easier, get breaks when they buy more equipment to use, and they have to hire people to operate and maintain that equipment. None of that comes free.

Now he or she is making more money after the tax cuts, is employing more people, giving more benifits to people cause its not easy finding people you want to hang on to. The more money they make, the more people they employ.

That means more income tax, more payroll tax, more money going into ss and more money going into healthcare benifets and retirement plans. More money going to other business for supplies, services, and contract work. Now those people need more people. More money going to the utility companies, you add another wharehouse or plant you pay for more water and electricity. The list goes on and on.

Being rich and wanting to make more money in America is not a bad thing. It helps the economy.

Walmart being one exception. They dick their employees.

Thanks

Before I hear the words "Global Outsourcing"

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docid=225

Scotlands finest SuperMod michaeljohn's Avatar
    Glasgow Scotland Heritage: Scotsman; Pict
    Thanks

I will add a few points here. In the 1960's, the USS Pueblo was captured by the North Koreans. Some 100 sailors were hostages for a year. Then President Johnson did little for their release and chose not to run in 1968. (Mainly due to Viet Nam). In 1978 the Iranian militants took the US Embassy people hostage. President Carter never got them out, it wasn't until the day Reagan was innagurated. In 1974 or 75, the Cambodians captured the Navy ship the USS Mayugez. President Ford sent the US Marines in the next day and rescued them. People remember the first two incidents, but they forget the latter.

If Gore had been president on 9-11, we may not have gone to war with anyone and Osama, Sadaam, and their cohorts would likely be more powerful than ever.

Download from same host simultaneously for free, 3 times per day per link.
    Rename files if you d/l multiple parts (split rar files)

http://www.fileleech.eu/
    http://www.premiumgenerator.eu/
    http://tigerleech.com/index.php
    http://www.powerleech.eu/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mfinley
    In 1978 the Iranian militants took the US Embassy people hostage. President Carter never got them out, it wasn't until the day Reagan was innagurated.
    The reason the hostages at the embassy were not released during Carter's administration was not due to lack of action by Carter, however the militants were protesting the Carter administration. It was the day Raegan was inaugerated that the militants RELEASED the hostages to prove a point.

Scotlands finest SuperMod michaeljohn's Avatar
    Glasgow Scotland Heritage: Scotsman; Pict
    Thanks

Agreed, an interesting point is if Carter had sent the Marines in right away to get the hostages out, he may very well have been reelected President.

Download from same host simultaneously for free, 3 times per day per link.
    Rename files if you d/l multiple parts (split rar files)

http://www.fileleech.eu/
    http://www.premiumgenerator.eu/
    http://tigerleech.com/index.php
    http://www.powerleech.eu/

Thanks

No one can know what would have happened. especially in the case of 9/11. WHo knows if it would have even happened or if he would have even invaded Iraq. In the case that 9/11 did happen I can definitely see him invading Afghanistan, but Iraq I don't see it happening.

Thanks

We would probably be worse off than we are now. I think that we would have went through another terrorist attack simply from a lessor action being taken and a more conservative outlook on the problem. Iraq would still be under Saddam's rule, and we would still have the thought in the back of our heads if that crazy SOB was gonna try and nuke us one day. Plus....all the liberals wouldn't have had anything to whine about for the past 4 years

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-S10
    I think that we would have went through another terrorist attack
    That assumes that 9/11 would have occurred as it did. Don't forget that Bush had been in office for nearly 9 months when the attacks occurred. Not that other attacks would not have happened, but with 5 weeks from the President's Daily Brief of Aug 6. and the revelation on Aug. 23rd or 24th that Zacarias Moussaoui, an Islamic jihadist, had been taking lessons on how to fly a 747, one has to wonder where we would be if Bush had not been taking record-setting vacations.

In an otherwise dry day of hearings before the 9/11 commission, one brief bit of dialogue set off a sudden flash of clarity on the basic question of how our government let disaster happen.

The revelation came this morning, when CIA Director George Tenet was on the stand. Timothy Roemer, a former Democratic congressman, asked him when he first found out about the report from the FBI's Minnesota field office that Zacarias Moussaoui, an Islamic jihadist, had been taking lessons on how to fly a 747. Tenet replied that he was briefed about the case on Aug. 23 or 24, 2001.

Roemer then asked Tenet if he mentioned Moussaoui to President Bush at one of their frequent morning briefings. Tenet replied, "I was not in briefings at this time." Bush, he noted, "was on vacation." He added that he didn't see the president at all in August 2001. During the entire month, Bush was at his ranch in Texas. "You never talked with him?" Roemer asked. "No," Tenet replied. By the way, for much of August, Tenet too was, as he put it, "on leave."
    Read the entire article here. It's some interesting information.

Thanks

Oh, and I know "it's a hard job", but shouldn't we expect the most powerful man in the world to be exceptional? And to put in at least an average work schedule?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nyast
    Oh, and I know "it's a hard job", but shouldn't we expect the most powerful man in the world to be exceptional? And to put in at least an average work schedule?
    ABSOLUTELY.

All that time Bush took off prior to 9/11 definitely could have been put to better use.

oh well ... hindsight blah blah blah

Closed Thread