Closed Thread

Thread: Brewing?

Thanks

Brewing?

Does anybody know any good beer recipes (perhaps something dark like an ale or a porter), or have some brewing tips?

Thanks

Re: Brewing?

If your just getting started with home brewing, I'd say stick with the kits at first. Mess around with those and you'll figure alot out.

You probably already have it, but if you don't, go get this book.

Thanks

I've always wanted to kit into home brewing. The ones that I drank that Mstad made were really good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Odie
    I've always wanted to kit into home brewing. The ones that I drank that Mstad made were really good.
    I can show you where to get everything you need. I think we spent around $300 to get started. After that, it doesn't cost much to brew a batch of beer. It can start getting spendy again when you start upgrading your setup, but that's expected.

Thanks

since your in santa cruz theres a place called 7 bridges their off of rivers by the lumber place and the sporting goods store. their a organic brewing supply store. if you go over the hill to san jose theres about 4-5 more brewing supply stores.

Thanks

The book above is a good intro.... I have done alot of original recipes, and they are very hit or miss.... I liked them all, but if my wife and family could not finish a 24.5 oz, I assume I was drinking them out of pride... I have a tough time with porters, I like the coco taste, but if you ever buy them out of a bottle try St Peter's old-style porter from the UK and the best american brewery, hands down is Avery (origanily a home brewer that is making a living at it... The brewery in located in boulder co and the original gravity and alch % is right on the bottle.... Some of his 12 oz singles go for $8 each and have a % over 14!!!!!! I will get you good specs on some of my brews in the next day or two.....
    Ps Great thread!!!!!!!!

Thanks

mstad, would you mind posting the site you got your kit at? ive been wanting to brew my own beer also. do you have any recomendations home made brew kits? that you could just get from the hardware store? to save money? i have so many bills right now i cant justify spending 300 on a kit when you could maybe just buy parts for about 100 to 200

Thanks

im gonna get a home brewing kit, as soon as i get my tax returns back. i cant wait.
    the germans better look out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy085
    mstad, would you mind posting the site you got your kit at? ive been wanting to brew my own beer also. do you have any recomendations home made brew kits? that you could just get from the hardware store? to save money? i have so many bills right now i cant justify spending 300 on a kit when you could maybe just buy parts for about 100 to 200
    I bought all my stuff from my local brewing shop. Look around, they're everywhere.

Thanks

howd your brew turn out?

Thanks

Haven't done any in almost a year, but the ones I did turned out pretty good. Except for one. Odie tried a couple of the ones I made. I remember making a rasberry stout, a bock, an IPA, and a couple others.

The IPA was the bad one. Not too sure why, but it was the first or second brew I did.

Thanks

I have not brewed myself outside of a u-brew, but from what I've been told, IPA's are harder to get right then most lagers and stouts.
    No idea why, I'm completely ignorant as to the details about the process, but that's what I've heard.

Thanks

so i went down to buy i beer making kit. it seemed like so much more work then wine. so i bought the wine making kit instead. only problem is after i make this batch i have to wait 6 months to drink it. i hope to god after all that waiting it takes like butter.

Thanks

if it tastes like butter, then you are doing it wrong....

on a serious note, my friend did an awesome batch of bitter on a basic home kit and it came out sweet

Thanks

i saw a book on how to make your own hard liqour, im kinda afriad to try it. i guess its illegal to make your own.
    basically i want everyone to tell me this is a good idea, and that i should at least try it.
    by the way, anyone know of anyone who has made there own, im not talking moonshine either.

Closed Thread