Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I lazy or bored?

Thanks

Am I lazy or bored?

Wow... feels wierd to be writing one of these thingies. Ok, so, anyways. Lately, I just have no interest in school. I'm a junior in college now, love my major, really want to have a career involved in what I'm studying, but I can't bring myself to go to class. I just hate it. It's not the professors either, most of my professors have been pretty good. I just can't figure out how to get out of the funk I've been in for the past year or so... if I don't snap the f**k out of it, I'm going to hold a one way ticket to palookaville after I fail out of college; I'm already on academic probation. So far, I've lucked out and managed to carry myself due to I generally grasp the material easily with a minimal effort. Unfortunately, now that I am in uper level classes, my base intelligence is no longer enough to carry me... it's going to require work... work that I always wait until the last minute to do if at all.

Any thoughtskis?

Thanks

Re: Am I lazy or bored?

Exactly the same thing that you are going through I am going through. I have just well had enough is the correct way to say it and I want it all to end. I have left everything to the last minute as well and everything seems to be going ok atm.

Its not exactly boredom and its not exactly laziness. Personally I just wanna move onto bigger and better things - the life style of a student - poor & study just isn't very appealing. Despite all the big bouts of drunkeness and the kick back attitude to uni - I believe that as we get closer to finishing the course we look ahead of ourselves.

There is also the simple fact that we are left to our own devices. I dunno about in the US but in Aussie there is basically nothing thats required from you at uni. Like you dont have to attend any lectures or tutes its basically your on your own for every piece of assessment until its due. Digging deep and trying to self motivate is pretty fucking hard when you have just had enough.

However learning shit at the last minute isn't as bad as it seems. The pressure and stress of looming exams transforms my mind into a sponge and it allows me to absorb information. Self motivation is uber easy when you have an exam in 3 or so days and you realise that its gotta be done.

So yea mate unfortunatley I havent got the foggiest on how to fix this condition and as I am in it myself. I have just learnt to realise that I have 1 more year to pass and then I'm onto a career and not going to ever do a microsecond of study in my life ever again.

Thanks

I actually ran into almost the exact same thing in junior year of highschool. Thankfully, I had been dealing with similar issues for a while, and my school is "hippyish" enough to let things slide, so I was able to stick around long enough to get my shit in order.

I really don't know what advice to give, though... for me, it was just waiting until I made the choice to be an "active learner" or whatever the fuck they you to be, regardless of what anybody else said one way or 'tother. However, I know that colleges don't give you that much slack, and I don't know what to recommend, besides just buckling down and getting it done until you figure out what the real problem is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skept4
    However learning shit at the last minute isn't as bad as it seems. The pressure and stress of looming exams transforms my mind into a sponge and it allows me to absorb information. Self motivation is uber easy when you have an exam in 3 or so days and you realise that its gotta be done.
    But thats what got me in this mess. I have a research paper (20+ pages) due in 2 weeks that I have yet to start, so now I am so far behind the 8-ball I don't know if I'm ever going to finish. Fucking college... it would be great except the class part.

Thanks

Zeppy , three pages a day, Just Do It !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sagaris
    Zeppy , three pages a day, Just Do It !
    I got my 7 pager done yesterday and I'm going to spend all night tonite doing research. It's coming into place.

Thanks

see, I ran into the same situation...I fucked up and quit school to join the Army...quickly made me want to go back to college, which I am doing right now, with a renewed interest...

funny...war tends to do shit like that to you...

Thanks

I had that problem as well when I was in uni, almost failed my final year thesis as a result. I don't think that I've fully overcome it yet. But the key is to set very clear goals and keep challenging and pushing yourselves.

Another thing is that you may be suffering a mild form of depression which is quite common in the modern society, but often ignored.

bored out of my mind..... PirateOZanzabar's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah. well zeppy, i am in the same situation. and have been for the past 3 years..... i was going to a good university and i just didn't go to class/do hw so i dropped out halfway into my second semester bc i wouldn't get the gpa i needed to stay in since i was on accademic probation. now im going to a community college and last year i basicly did the same thing. didn't pass most of my class's, tho i did go to most of them, i just didn't do the hw. and im doing the same thing this semester. i have a 10 page research paper due next monday and all i have done is 4 pages of it. it shouldn't be hard to finish, but meh..... theres better things i can do with my time.... even tho i know i should do it now, but i just don't work that way. i need the pressure of the looming deadline to make my brain work. it sucks, but thats the way i need it... even with my calc class (3rd time taking it) i have hardly done any HW or nething like that in the class at all. very very stupid on my part. i know i should do it, but i just find reasons not too......

so basicly what im saying is i need the same help that you do.....

Thanks

I think it is because you are complacent about your future.

I know that I am an only child, therefore I will need to support my parents when they retire. I was also the first to work out of my cousins on my mom's side of the family (I am not the eldest grand kid though) and as soon as my mom started fretting about my grandpa's medical bills (he is in and out of the hospital cause of years of chain smoking) I knew I didn't have time to "hang out and chill" and take my time. Work, school, and now I'm doing pretty decent for an immigrant with 5 months of Canadian education under her belt.

Groin Grabbingly Good Juan.Camaney's Avatar
    Thanks

hehe I always left shit until the last day.

Wrote my 50+ page seniro design paper a few days before it was due. Got an A.

Thanks

keep your eye on the prize and if you don't have one, get one

Thanks

I'm on page two!!!

Thanks

I ran into the same thing in college right after my grandfather died. All I can really say to ya is stick it out. Because I decided to take a year off in 2000 and still haven't finished. Think of the alternative. Working in retail sucks ass any way you look at it.

Good luck buddy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juan.İamaney
    hehe I always left shit until the last day.

Wrote my 50+ page seniro design paper a few days before it was due. Got an A.
    I was the same way.

When I was in high school, I never did one page of homework. I did great in class, but I just couldn't bring myself to do work outside of school.If ever I was in danger of failing a class, it was because of homework. I even had a teacher try to keep me from taking a final because they said my grade was too low to matter, due to no homework turned in. I had to point out to them that unless I was expelled, they couldn't stop me from doing part of the course. I took the final, got an A, and that gave me a passing(barely) grade.

I still to this day don't know if that was me just being lazy, or something else.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast